Monday, July 7, 2014

VCET Spark


We got the ball rolling this Monday morning with introductions and general overviews.  What sparked real discussion was an image of one of Andy Goldsworthy's work, and then the controversial idea that the arts, where they can support and inter relate with other disciplines, does not in itself enhance a student's ability in other subjects.  Running through my head was how young kids have such an aptitude and desire to draw and experiment with art, and they're not afraid if they're not accurate in depicting drawings of people or objects.  There is no failure, only pure expression.  On the flip side, when those children grow to adults, many lose that desire and shut off any artistic side.  How many times have you heard an adult say "I wish I could draw" or "I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler".  You would expect an adult to be literate in Math, Science, English, and History, but why are the Arts so foreign and unapproachable?
This disconnect interests me and I would like to explore it further.  Around Middle School, I notice students start their decline: less are eager to take risks, do not want to feel embarrassment in front of their peers, or disappoint themselves.  Some do not continue Art education into their HighSschool years, thus cutting off any more development.  So for my topic paper, I intend on researching this pattern, and ways how art can be incorporated so that anyone can find it accessible and non threatening.  For our February presentation, I would like to have a public art interaction station.  My vision is to set up tables of workstations of small, self directed art projects that I use with my Art I students.  For example, a station that demonstrates how to draw a tree, a station on how to use contour drawing, a color theory demonstration, a small painting project, a small paper sculpture project, etc.  I want viewers to interact and take away an idea, perhaps re spark an interest in wanting to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment